Sunday 17 April 2011

Santa Maria

I must think my computer screen is very pretty - I've been staring at it for like 10 minutes trying to figure out what to write. I could put it off until I have something intellegent to say, but who am I kidding - even if I could think of something to say would it really be all that intellegent? :P

My absolutely favourite class I am taking this year is Physiology. How the human body works. Its so fancinating and detailed, and Im just doing a first-level type course that just skims the basics. I really enjoy the program I am in now, but I wont lie - the idea of switching to a major of physiology is tempting some days. There are really two things that stop me. First is that I have the potential to graduate my four-year degree in three years, which would be nice. The second is that loverly little thing called Chemistry. To take on a full time masters in physiology would require me to have chemistry. Yeah, not going to happen *hates chemistry*

One of the things I love about physiology is how everything is phrased when its being taught. I've already mentioned how they make it sound like some big construction/engineering project "well the problem could be solved if we put in an enzyme at this stage". I also love how they seem to personify so many of these prossess. Or maybe thats my own mind... "Hormone is then stored until it is signaled for use. An enzyme will then come along, cleaving it into its active form where it is then transported to its target tissue and iniciates a series of responses." Thats not the best example, just what I could think of off the top of my head, but there are a lot more obvious examples of what I am talking about throughout my text/workbook thingy. All the same, it just gives me this picture of some dude who was trained for a specific job or task sitting and waiting until his boss finally comes down as is like "Alright, we have a a job for you. Gotta get you cleaned up and read to go" (hence the enzyme) and then they provide a car or plane for our guys travelling needs and then when he gets there he like, I dunno, kills the president which sets off a chain reaction leading to war. Or maybe he is just a delivery boy and hands some goon a note until it reachs the big boss who doesnt something about it.

...ok Im really starting to think these kind of thing might be my own imagination doing this whole personifying thing. Thats cool tho, good memory trick. Honestly tho if I wasnt too lazy I could get up and actually get my physiology book and get a better example. But my example was so much fun!

Also our story does have an antagonist - and by that I mean a signal molecule which can attach the the same receptor as our hormone but does not inciate a response, just blocks the proper signal molecules (such as our hormone hero) from attaching to the receptor. It still works in the literary context however, seeing as an antagonist in a story will often go out of their way to block the hero of the story right? *physiology terms Paige will not forget when going into the exam*... maybe I should just write out my whole human body story on the exam? What'd we think? A for certain is what I think! (... on my multiple choice exam...)

Well, as always, I seem to have gotten over my writers block. As always, this has been Paige Rambling. Goodnight Internets! ( "Paige it's morning" "Shhh, they dont know that!")

No comments:

Post a Comment