Friday 22 April 2011

Tiger Lilies

It is now techincally the 22nd. Im writing my BEDA post at 12:30 am because tomorrow I want to wake up, head to school and studying until I cannot see straight any longer and then come home and crash. Or at very least come home and watch really stupid things online and not think about writing or words or thinking.

So have you ever been in a coversation about food when someone (perhaps yuorself) says something along the lines of "Omg, dude I love pizza. I mean like I LOOOVE pizza. If there was one food I would eat for the rest of my life, it is pizza!" Possibly not with pizza, maybe with bread, or pasta, or cheese, or vegimite... you get the picture. I was thinking about that today, eating peas straight out of the pot and that thought went through my head "Man, i could eat peas every day for teh rest of my life and never get sick of them." But actually, I disagree with myself - and heres why.

I have been in the unfortunately position where I was only able to eat a handful (if that) of foods for a elongated period of time. Last January (a few days after it turned 2010) my stomach gave out on me. They still dont know why and I wont go into the details, but once it did I pretty much could only eat rice without having extreme stomach pain/reactions. My diet was strictly rice, bread and plain oatmeal in the mornings (no, for those wonder, its not celiac, I am not gluten intolerant - if I was I would not be able to eat any of those things!). My diet was strictly those three things for four months straight. Have you ever tried eating the exact same thing for four months straight? No deviation, none. Even still almost a year and a half later, my diet is still effed up and I still am eating a diet with very little variety and I still eat rice several times a week.

Now I suppose, going back to my original point, that it may be different for people who aren't me. But I love variety - if things are the same for too long (whether its colours, routines, sounds, activities, etc.) I get bored and I get bored very quickly. It was actually pretty surprising with rice - I didnt get bored. Well, no, thats a lie. I got very bored. But I still liked it, in fact I still like it. Im just wholey sick of it. I know that, if I had to, I can eat it for teh rest of my life. I also know that if I had to do that, I would probably skip meals pretty often because honestly? Eating the same thing day after day for every meal doesnt really make yuo WANT to eat.

The sad thing is I used to LOVE rice. Now, I can stand rice. Which I think is a testiment to how much I liked it,  because it I had to eat something like tomatoes (which I severly dislike) or dried appricots (which I can stand) almost every day for a year and a half? I think I'd be ready to off myself by now. I'd gag everytime I had to eat them. More than that, which I am finding myself doing more and more faced with the prospect of rice, I'd stray to eating things I should and just dealing with the penalty because, sometimes, its REALLY worth it.

Which isnt actually a bad thing. People always ask if I ever stray from my restricted diet, suggesting that maybe one of the best things to do is eat outside the norm - just to see if I can. Maybe my stomach problems arent as bad as I think. Trust me, if you HAVE to eat the same thing every day for a year and a half, you are going to stray. I have learned several times the hard way that yes, in fact, I stick to my diet for a reason. Now obviously I havent tried EVERY food out there. Because there are a lot of foods out there. And a lot of variety of flavours and combinations of everything. Man. I miss taste. So maybe I can expand my food repitoire a little. But figuring out how is a lot harder than it sounds.

So I may sit down too a bowl of, say, cesare salad (which is my absolute favourite salad) (which I am no longer allowed to eat) (gawd I miss taste!) and think that if I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life, this would be it (which wouldn't be a bad choice, I mean its got all yuor four food groups in there right? :P). But it would be a very sad day the day that I got up and thought to myself "So, whats for breakfast?! Oh, right. Cesare Salad. Hmmm, never mind. I think I'll just go back to bed now" (last part is a pretty normal thought process for me actually lol) (... except recently when my body keeps waking me up at 9am and I can't go back to sleep. Damn you growing up). I wouldnt want to eat my favourite food every day, all the time, because it would soon just become a disapointment. And I woudlnt want to eat my least favourite food every day either because really - ugh. Gross. No thank you.

So whats the moral of this story Internets? Variety is the spice of life and dont take two plus advil every day for 4-5 years because yuo will majory frak up your stomach. Have a good night! (or morning or afternoon. Whatever yuo prefer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment