Monday 4 July 2011

Crocs in Socks

Or - My Random Aussie Observations

So I'm sitting here at 6:30 in the morning thinking how crappy it is that I am awake right now. Also that it's hard to figure out activites to do that wont wake up the rest of my family. So what the hell, whose ready for another blog post? (also internets working, but it doesnt want me to open my email so that's also out of the question atm).  These are my observations from Auz so far:

Toilets - So a request I got from a few of my friends was to make sure I take a video of toilet flushing here in Auz so we can prove once and for all whether it flushes in the opposite direction. And while I realise this may not have been the MOST serious of requests, there is still a slight hitch in this plan. The hitch being that, well, toilets don't flush in a circular motion in Auz. They just sort of, well, dump a shit-ton of water (or a half shit ton, all Aussie toilets have the option of half or full flushes). I'll still take a video, you know, for comparisons sake if people are THAT curious. But it shalt prove nothing. Maybe I'll take a video of the sink instead...

Grocery Shopping - Grocery shopping has this odd mixture of weird but not weird. The grocery stores themselves are set up very similarly to the ones back home, so when you first walking in nothing feels weird. Produce is at the entrance, meat at the back, random drugstore aisle in the middle. Pretty normal. But then you take a closer look and realise that everything is wrong. The brands are all different, and even if they're the same they are still different. Different looking, different tasting, different sizing (fricken soy milk comes in containers half the size of what we get in Canada. And I go through THOSE in about a day and a half...). Now this may seem obvious to people, of COURSE they're going to be different, Im on the other side of the world. But its different hearing about it and when you actually walk in and can't find what you're looking for because you dont know anything about the brands in front of you.

Oh, also, blueberries here are like $10 for a small container. I never realised how much these poor Aussies suffered!

Oh, also had a fun time trying to find ant-acids because I ran out of the ones I use in Canada. There are similar brands, but the boxes look different (and much less selection). The pharamcist was sooo confused what I wanted, trying to give me one-a-day tablets when I just want something if my stomach acts up after a meal. And I dont know how strong the ones here are compared to the ones at home, because if I've discovered anything from the food, just because the brand is the same does not mean it's anything like the similar (supposebly exact same) item at home.

Jetlag - sucks. That is all.I'm tired by 8pm and get up at 6. Wtf body? Get with the program!

However, watching the sun rise over the palm trees is gorgeous and listening to the all the birds is relaxing. And different, because these are definitely not birds you get at  home :D.

Coffee -  this is more of an observation of my parentals than myself, seeing as my diet restricts the intake of caffine and all, but I feel the need to inform those of you who are coffee hounds and thinking of travelling to the Down Under. Apparently you cannot order a straight coffee here. Mom and Dad will go out for breaky or after dinner or something, and my dad will say "oh, just a coffee please" and then waiters will look at him expectantly. Coffee what? Latte? Mocha? ummm... ok, I dont really know too many other types of fancy coffee. But yeah, black coffee or coffee with just cream and sugar isnt a thing here apparently. So if you love coffee and are planning on making the journey here, brush up on your fancy coffees (lol, my mom is kind of loving it) or be prepared to make your own. Or face a lot of confused waiters :P.

So yes Internets. Difference I have noticed so far. I am sure I will sprout a few more over the coming weeks. And I'll try not to bore you with differences like "The light switches! They're smaller!" or silly things like that :P. And for now, depending on the part of the world you currently reside in, Good morning, good afternoon or good night! :)




1 comment: