Thursday 19 January 2012

Scene and the Reads

So in the last few days I have read a book and watched a movie in theaters in which I would like to review. And by review I really just mean talk about...

So first and foremost:

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D
So, ok yes, not a new movie. Thank you for that, I think we all know this. Doesn't stop me from wanting to "review" it. And by review - I mean gush. Because I love Beauty and the Beast. It was apparently the first movie I ever saw in theaters and according to my dear mother "my eyes were as wide as saucers" (tho they probably didnt dance like the saucers in Beauty and the Beast :P). But seriously. I love this movie. I can sing almost the entirety of Be Our Guest without hesitation... and I dont think I've ever actually sat down to actually TRY and memorise. Same with Tale As Old As Time. But yes - I'd say the hardest thing for watching it in theaters was me trying not to belt out the songs in the middle of the theater.

HOWEVER, as awesome as it was to see in theaters - the 3D sucked hard core. At best it made everything look like layered paper dolls. At its worst the animations looked VERY distorted. It also made the backgrounds MUCH more obvious, which is again a pro and con. On the one hand, I never realised how gorgeous some of the background senery was - I didnt know that the majority of them were hand painted. I really enjoyed that. On the other hand, it also made me notice things like how the back-ground characters did not move during song scenes unless the focus shifted to them. Again very paper-doll-esk. And also took away from the... visual experience I suppose. Also was just funny to see LaFou flat under Gaston's chair and then all of a sugged have his head turn into a distorted balloon when it came his turn to sing.

My other mini-non-review is the much anticipated

The Fault In Our Stars
By John Green.
with, I promise, absolutely NO SPOILERS.
So I, like everyone else, have been waiting for this book for quite a while. Longer than I should have been truthfully. I kinda expected that if I pre-ordered it, I would  be getting it within a day or two of it coming out. Not a week later. Nice job Amazon. But, meh, whatever. Shit happens. Move on.

So it arrived,  I had my lovely green J-squiggle, and after my classes where done that day, I sat down and read it. First impression - fast read. Read the entire thing in 3 hours. That is not a bad thing, just thought it would be a bit longer lol. And the book was fabulous. The one thing I really like about it is that I didn't hear Johns voice in my head the entire time I was reading it. Normally I do with his books. I enjoy his books, but they always sound LIKE HIM. This one didn't. His characters were a little... too smart maybe. Or at least I thought that at first. Then I realised a couple things - one, I've heard my best friend talk in similar manners both now and when she was a teenager, so I shouldn't judge. And two - these are people dealing with cancer trauma and not particularly in touch with "Everyday" school people. There is probably a good chance that the difference in educational styles would have an effect on the level of intellect they exude.

I really did like this book however. I've never been a big fan of emotional or dramatic books. And I hate crying. I mean, I almost never cry. I am too "tough" and too stubborn and too "against-female-crying-stereotypes" and under too much of my dads influence to cry. So normally I would never go and seek out a situations where I would chance crying. But John wrote this, and put so much effort into it - not to mention all the signing. So I did. I think my real mistake was reading it in a public venue, aka the school library. I hate to sound like everyone else, but it really was as people said - one second I was laughing aloud with out realising it and then next I was stubbornly blinking away tears. Never read a potentially tear-jerking book in public if you hate people seeing you cry. Lesson learned lol. But kudos to John for bring that side of me out. I call that a win for him (as for myself - I'm still on the fence) (also if my mom reads this (Which I know she will) as far as you are aware, I didnt actually cry. So dont you dare say anything :P).

So I hope you enjoy my over-due reviews Internets (And by overdue I mean I watch B&B on Monday and ready TFIOS Tuesday but then got interupted in the middle of my original review so had to continue on with it today). I shall talk to you again soon :)

1 comment:

  1. It's pretty much impossible to not want to cry when reading TFioS, I think.

    ReplyDelete