Friday 26 October 2012

Zombie CPR

The season is upon us. Tis the season to get heart attacks!

...wait, no, that doesnt sound right..

Tis the season to get scared to the point of your heart stopping!

... closer...

Anyway, tis the season where I spent the last month and a half being a small part of  massive organization undertaking for an event put on last night by the Heart and Stroke Foundation (HFS) (specifically the Ontario branch). Event was called the "Undeading of Wonderland" or "CPR Undead" for short. Our goal was to break the Guiness World Record for the amount of people learning CPR at one time. This marketing scheme for this event was done to the theme of Zombies and took place in Canada's Wonderland during their "Halloween Haunt".

For this event, the HSF put out probably one of the better PSAs I have ever seen. Lets watch, shall we??


Last night was the big night. Now, unfortunately, we did not manage to break the world record. The world record was 7909 people and set in Signapore. In the end, we managed approximately 5000 people. But that is still 5000 more people who know how to do CPR and hopefully will one day save a life.

Now, I know I could go into some intimate detail regarding exactly how the event was set up, who set up it, my involvement in it, the road trip to Toronto for the Event, the road trip home, etc. etc. etc. But I feel as though some people might lose interest. So I guess I'll just stick to the highlights.

The event itself was both fun and disapointing. It was fun because I got a really nice, fun, chatty and easy going partner as well as a decent group of people to work with. (In order to be able to make sure everyone was counted, people were divided into "pods" and assignment a volunteer and a CPR instructor). It was disapointing because the organization could have been better. As a volunteer I was not completely clear on my roll and the "training" involved us being vaguely told what to do but given none of the tools. I guess it all still worked out in the end so I am not going to make too harsh of a complaint.

After the event, as a volunteer, I got to go in and enjoy the park for free. Now, if you have never been to Canada's Wonderland for the Halloween Haunt/Fear Fest, its pretty cool. The park is covered in fog (fog machines every few meters) and the lights are turned down or programed for different colours giving the park a delightful creepy atmosphere. They have people dressed as zombies or in random creepy costumes that will creep out of the fog or jump out of the fog to scare people. And they have the "mazes", which are essentially mini haunted houses or walks, each with a different theme. By far my favourite was the Corn Maze. It was dark and creepy and the staff they had set up to scare people were stuble and creepy, rather than in-your-face and obnoxious.

We also managed to hit up a few rides, which are always fun. Now, I love rides, but I hate heights. So it is always a fight for me to first get up the courage to go on most rides. But once I get it up, it stays up and I love them (... thats what she said...). I mean, I refused to go on the "Drop Zone", which raises you high into the air and then drops you, and I think I may need another time or two at the park before I can work up my courage for the "Leviathan", which is Wonderland's newest roller coast featuring a 80 degree drop. But I was good for all the rest.

The unfortunate thing, in my old old age of 23, is that I have managed to develope a rather weak stomach. So by the time we left the park, I was definitely a little too queasy for the two-hour ride home. I think next time it would be a better idea to stay overnight in the city... or possibly pass out in the park and hope someone is there to carry you home lol.

At the end of the night something kind of cool happened. I managed to run into Corey Vidal and Samantha Fall, two of my favourite youtubes from the Apprentice Eh/Apprectice A youtube channels. I knew they were going to be at the park, and while I was hoping to run into them I didnt *actually* expect it to happen. Unfortunately I did not get to meet the whole Apprentice A team. It looked like Sam and Corey were headed out a bit early while the rest were still enjoying the rides. It was still pretty cool as these were the first youtubers I have ever met in person. I also managed to surprise myself by how cool and smooth I was going up to say hi and asking for a picture with them. I appreciate how nice and gracious they were in exchange.

So that, in short, was my night. And yes, that is in short. If you want me to give you the long version you may need to set aside a large part of your night for the length of post you will be reading.

Good Night Internets, Happy (almost) Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment