Saturday 30 April 2011

BEDone!

So to take us out of BEDA with a bang, I am going to do something I have never really done before. I am going to tell you all about my amazingly awesome day!

I woke up today feeling awesome - last day of exams, by noon it would be over and I would be free. It was a wonderful thought and feeling and I was so energetic going into my exam. Exam happened, it was my hardest and longest (time-wise) exam. Now its done, and that is wonderful. But only the begining of the awesomeness that is today!

Last night I got this email to my university account advertising a "Vote Mob" which is essentially a rally getting people, specifically the "youth vote" to encourage "youth" to vote and even more so to give a big F-you to the politicians who seem to think that the youth dont count and the youth don't vote. This peeked my interest a little, but not normally the kind of thing I go to. I dont know why, I've just never gotten involved in rallys or protests or anything. There was more however, because Rick Mercer, who has been one of my idols growing up (I've been watching him since I was too young to understand his jokes. I remember watching his rants back in the 22 Minutes days), was going to be leading this Vote Mob. There was no chance I wasn't going!

So the first thing I did was talk to/text a bunch of my friends. "Are you busy tomorrow" "Do you like Rick Mercer?!" And of course, every one was busy. Or not a Rick Mercer fan - which kills me. How could yuo NOT be a Rick Mercer fan?!! You know something, a couple years ago this would have thrown me off. I'd have shyed out and not gone and that would have been the end of it. If there is something I have learned its this - screw other people. If there is something you want to do, even if its by yuorself - do it! Trust me, you can have just as much fun :D.

So I did. After my exam I came home, tided myself a bit, ate some lunch and went. And I am SOOOO glad I did. I had an absolutely BLAST! From the moment I got on the bus there was a story. There was a group of other people all "Canada-ed" up with the words "VOTE" written all over themselves, so I had a good idea what they were doing. At the same guy there was a... bus crazy? I dont know if thats the most suitable phrase for him. He wasnt "crazy" but he was.... slow? And he wanted to talk. So he decided to talk to me. He was nice and I didnt want to be mean and not talk to him. At the same time - ackward! And the "Vote" people kept looking at me with facial expressions saything "I am SO sorry." Which was funny.

Anyway, I made it do the Mob without being stabbed, so no worries. Waundered around awkwardly by myself for a bit when a guy came up to me (because I am so hot :P) and we started talking. He had planned to come with friends as well, but they all bailed on him. So we ended up spending the rest of the mob together, which was super awesome. At one point before the rally started, they put on loud music and a bunch of people urged us to dance - so we did! But not normal, clubbing dancing. More... swing dancing? It was awesome, he kept swirling me aruond and stuff. I didnt know what I was doing, but we had fun doing it! Oh, and we might have out picture in the paper. A photographer apparently got a pciture of us dancing and then came up to us and asked for our names and stuff like that. So THATS kind of a cool.

Then the rally started. Chris (the guy) and I were right up front, super close to the stage. There were representatives from both Fanshawe and Westerns student counsell giving speechs (one guy was really funny and was kinda like Rick Mercers opening act) and sang Oh Canada (both in english and french, tho the french confused me cause the rest of the rally was in english :P). Everyone got really pumped up (my voice is LITERALLY still cracking from all the screaming). The local mayor gave a speech (it went something like "VOTE! MAY 2ND! VOTE! MAY 2ND! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?! VOTE! MAY 2ND!" ) and then the man of the hour - Rick FRICKEN Mercer came on stage!

He was really funny. Of course he was, he is Rick FRICKEN Mercer afterall :P. His speech was brilliant, saying all the right stuff. Ancedotes of politicians who are afraid of the youth vote, who put no effort into trying to obtain the youth vote, who dont know how to connect with the youth vote. Talking about how youth DO vote, they just dont get polled (I mean, think about it, polling is done through landlines and telephone books. If you live off yuor cellphone, not exactly going to reach you!). Politicians dont like that - can't predict what they are going to do. Then at the end of it all He got us doing silly dances and whatnot because some of the many film people where doing youtube videos.

Oh yeah, did I mention the new crews? It may be to late now, but if yuo watch the news tonight yuo may catch glimpses of me. They kept filming the crowd and I was definitely in many of teh shots :D.

Then it was all over. But not for me, I wanted to get a picture. So I hoped up on stage hoping to get a quick on and avoid the mob. But Rick went over to the mob and got pictures and autographs with them first. Then the news crew wanted to interview hiim. Than another news crew - and Chris was awesome. He stayed the whole time and was my camera man. I probably waited more than 20 minutes for it, but I got it damnit!

Thats right, me looking increadibly awkward with the one and only Rick Mercer! :D

Unfortuately because he was so busy and everyone wanted a peice of him, the most I got to say to him was "I'm a big fan, have watched yuo since I was a kid" but it was still really cool. Also yes, I did say it all very ackwardly. Do we expect anything less from me!?

After that I stayed chatting with Chris and we ran into some of his friends and chatted with them for a while. They were really fun and really nice and I hope I stay in touch with them because a) I liked them a lot and b) it'd be nice to get to know more people living in London. Actually get to know the place Im spending the next few years.

Then I went home. Chris drove me, so no more bus crazies to report. I was hope for MAYBE 20 minutes when I heard someone outside my room. I assumed one of my roomates was home so I ran out to brag about my day so far, but it wasnt one of my roomates. Sort of. It was my new incoming roomate. I've talked to her a bit, but never really gotten a chance to know her yet. Her and her parents had stopped by to collect a few of the things she had left here but needed at home. So we chatted and eventually I got invited out to dinner with them. Which was super SUPER nice of them. I mean, I couldnt eat anything and just had tea - but I appreciated it all the same :D. It was great getting to know her, i have a good feeling her and I will be good friends. We have a lot of different interests but get along really easily. Im really excited for her to move in.

Then they had to leave, so they dropped me off back home. I chatted with my roomate for a while and then started writing this blog. But my day isnt over - my friends are having a party/get-together-type-thingy to celebrate the end of exams so I'm going to head over there. And my roomate is having a big party and a bonfire tonight, so I may entice my friends to head that way and even if I cant I probably will hang out there for a while after everyone goes home from my friends place.

So yes, that is me going out of BEDA with a bang :D. I really enjoyed blogging every day in April and am going to try to keep up with this blog. Maybe not everyday, but yuo know, often enough. We will see how it goes and all.

So until next time, stay awesome Internets!

No comments:

Post a Comment