Thursday 16 June 2011

Tweak

Honestly, how is it that Im almost 2 months into summer and am still busy? I havent been bored once this summer and its awesome. And only 2 more weeks until Australia! I AM SO FRICKEN EXCITED!!! *ahem* *recomposes dignity*

I also realise I haven't done a random, babbling post in a while. Blogging during BEDA is so different that blogging without a schedule. I never had enough going on during BEDA that one days experience could fill up a blog, so I would just blog about whatever popped into my head (however random it was). Now Im trying to blog twice a week (but lets face it, its turning into once a week or less... other things that are hard without a set schedule), and am so busy that I just always have more to fill people in on. Because my life is awesome apparently. So no, definitely not complaining :P

So one of the big things going on these past two months has been my summer course Im taking. Its Health and Ethics, and surprisingly, it turned out to be very interesting. I expected it to be dry and full of theories and boring shit like that. Im not sure if its the proff or the course itself, but because its Health/Medical ethics, they are bringing a lot of practical application and real-world examples into the mix. Unfortunately I can't give you any examples, one of the class policies is confidentiality - since that's an important ethical concept in the real world. So what we hear in class, stays in class. Which is also an interesting idea. Reaffirming that idea of confidentiality before we are close to entering the medical world.

My problem with ethics, even this class, doesnt just lie in the dryness of it. I've always been one to see things from multiple examples (HowI argue "Look, Im not saying I dont agree with you, but you have to think of it this way as well!" or "Well what about this? Or this? or this? or this?" lol. argueing is fun). I had a hard time writing my essay for example (regarding the growing US market around egg donation. Based off of this http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2004/4/29/will-you-be-my-babys-mama/ article). As an issue itself, I dont feel that its strickly unethical. I feel there are parts of it that could be, but its annoyingly grey in terms of ethics. It didnt help that I had many conversations with my essay editing peeps about different circumstances when it may be more or less ethical, making it even harder to "pick a side".

It also gets frusterating in class. I've discovered I love having a good disscussion class. Mostly because I talk a lot and have an opinion on everything. But it can also get really frusterating when someone just picks one side and REFUSES to see anyone elses point of view. I'm lucky in this class that it doesnt happen too often, but often enough. We've formed groups that we break into for disccussions now and there is one specific guy in my group how just obviously doesnt care and doesn't want to change his views on anything. I hope this guy isnt planning on heading to MedSchool because I'd hate to have him as my doctor. He wouldn't listen to a word the patient said and would just do things the way he thought best... ok, so he sounds like most other doctors I've had. Doesnt make it any less true however.

But other than that, most people are really good about discussions. Even if people have differening opinions, we listen and take that into account. Its a smaller class as well (only about 20-30 people. As opposed to most of the classes I've had here so far which are about 200-500 people) so we're starting to get to know each other a little. My favourite moment ever happened yesterday. We were broken up into our groups and tasked with creating our own civilization/society based around ethical principles and had to take into consideration everything from the largest infrastructure to the tiniest details. It was really hard and reaffirms something I have known forever - I am NEVER going into government and NEVER going into administration. I'd be put into an insane asylum by the end of the month.

So at the end of the class, each group presented their civilization. Group number 3 was my favourite, because their Civilization name was Mordor. But it got better, because the first question asked by the class was from a girl sitting beside me. "So, can one simply walk in?" A few of us laughed pretty hard (ah, Im with my people :) ) and the rest kinda did the nervous giggle of "I know that was a joke, but I dont understand why..." It was a brilliant moment and that girl and I walked away from class talking about nerdy stuff together. Because once a nerd discovers another nerd, its hard to seperate them :P.

Anyway, the last class in next week and the exam the week after that. And then, and then? And then I fly to AUSTRALIA! Fuck Im excited about that. Im not sad the class is ending or anything silly like that, but I actually have enjoyed taking it this year, as weird as that is lol.

So I hope you've had a good week Internets. I'll try to post a bit more in the next two weeks before I leave. And I'll try to update consistently in Auz. I will have my computer with me,  so I dont really have any good excuses not to. But I guess we'll see what happens once I get there lol. Until then, Laterzzz Gaterzzz :D

No comments:

Post a Comment